IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Jul 23 20:38:51 UTC 2004

--On Friday, July 23, 2004 8:21 AM +0200 Hans de Goede
<j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:

> The basic idea is todo things the XP way and loads lotts of (cr)app(s)
> while the user is already seeing a GUI.

Paraphrasing Knuth, premature optimization is a bad investment. Before we
start down this road, let's see some measurements showing exactly how much
time each step in the boot process takes. We can then decide where to
invest effort to improve with the limited development resources available.

Has anyone instrumented the boot process? For example, syslogging each
initscript to get a timestamp would tell us how much time was spent in each
one.