IDEA: Shortening boot-time

David Nielsen dnielsen at breakmygentoo.net
Sat Jul 24 02:38:31 UTC 2004

On fre, 2004-07-23 at 22:02 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 03:26:27AM +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> > > Size        : 21682516
> > Bah harddrives are cheap.. unless you are running some kind of odd flash
> > based embedded system or another kind of limited setup depending on
> > python in this manner shouldn't be a problem, and if you do, I highly
> > doubt you would be running a vanilla Fedora Core.
>
> Double bah to that. :)
>
> Just because HDs are cheap isn't a good reason to dump another 20MB on the
> root filesystem.

Can we even avoid python in the base install anyways, all of RedHat's
tools seem to be written in it. If that's the case python will already
be present in 99% of all FC setups, and then I REALLY don't see the
problem, it's 20 megs, only 20 megs and it would buy us a nice init
system and Seth goodness.

- David