IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sat Jul 24 07:26:00 UTC 2004

On 17:35 23 Jul 2004, Denis Leroy <denisleroy at yahoo.com> wrote:
| Boy that's a narrow view. How about laptop users ? I reboot my laptop
| all the time, I can't switch from single to dual screens without it.
| Speaking of laptops, are there any projects that focus on laptop
| profiles ? The way i do it is to extend the existing network profile
| tool with scripting hacks in rc.sysinit to change my xorg.conf, hwconf,
| .gconf, .gnome and al... But the gnome network profiler is confusing
| and i wonder if there are other solutions out there...

Sure!

My experiments extend purely to the initscripts. There's a LOT of scope
for parallelism there. I wrote this:

	http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/css/rc.mobile.html

So now I run all startup scripts through it and non by the usual
sequence:

	[~]kirsty*> chkconfig --list|grep :on
	[~]kirsty*1>

Startup is MUCH faster.

The example config file is out of date; I've switched laptops and extended
things somewhat, and have dispensed with ifup, replacing it with direct
ifconfig and route calls.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Actually, it's only 'evolution in action' if they haven't spawned yet.
        - JAM jmooney at ornews.intel.com
Not at all, because they might have spawned again had not the hand of
fate intervened.  I consider such cases a partial victory, at least.
        - Geoff Miller <geoffm at netcom.com> DoD#0996