PROPOSAL: Core size reduction "bug day"

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Jul 24 08:51:27 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 10:25, Warren Togami wrote:
> Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 02:28 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> >
> >>As everyone probably knows a few days ago a suggestion was brought up
> >>that we start moving none essential stuff like KDE, XFce and a lot of
> >>the other duplication into Extras in order to reduce the size of Core.
> >>
> >>I'm hereby proposing we hold a bug day on IRC, Saturday the 31th to
> >>debate the possibility of such an action and which programs to move in
> >>that is the case.
> >>
> >>So far people have express a desire to move:
> >>KDE
> >

> > I still think that moving KDE away from core is a Bad Idea.
So do I -  To me this proposal is unreal and "not of this earth".

> > I have always preferred KDE over GNOME, as many other people do.
I use Gnome everyday, nevertheless I want BOTH of BOTH worlds.

> Know that there may also be benefits to moving KDE to Extras.
Let me shift the emphasize on *may* - I am having strong doubts on your
thought.

> * Red Hat does not emphasize enigneering work on KDE.  Most of the RH
> desktop team works mainly on GNOME.
> * As a result our KDE is always not as good as it could be.
Know, one reason for me to switch RH after having used SuSE for ca. 8
years, was RH doing a fairly good job on integrating both KDE and Gnome
into their desktop!

Therefore, moving KDE away from Core to me would mean to give up one
major advantage. I'd go so far to call this a critical step and fatal
mistake to push Fedora into isolation.

> However even entertaining this idea, we have several large challenges:
> * Currently we have no way of pulling in Extras into the installer.
> This would probably be an absolute requirement before this could happen.
> * The Extras KDE maintainer(s) would need to be at both a very high
> technical and trust level to make sure it does not stray on the whims of
> 50 less experienced people who will undoubtedly submit less than ideal
> changes.
> * Changes to KDE must be done without compromising the Fedora/RH way of
> doing things.  This would mean tight communication/collaboration with
> the RH desktop team.
* KDE is the basis of a *huge* number of packages and requires close
interaction between "Core desktop" (== RH) folks and contributors and
would cause a lot of friction - IMO this is completely unrealistic.

Ralf (Who never would have expected to step in for KDE).