PROPOSAL: Core size reduction "bug day"

Marius Andreiana mandreiana at rdslink.ro
Mon Jul 26 09:33:31 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 22:41 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> As for how we determined what gets purged, you start with
> the following categories:
> - 'other large apps, as need be', including, but not limited to:
>    ImageMagick
>    <games>
>    non-default apps (abiword, balsa, sylpheed, ddd, sawfish, etc)
>    math/science/HPC stuff (pvm, octave, etc)
>    xemacs
these should have alternatives already in core.
e.g. it's ok to remove abiword, gnumeric and koffice as we have
OpenOffice.org in core
not ok to remove tora (graphical sql shell), no 'better' alternatives
included.

IMHO, every removal (done by current package maintainer) should be
followed by adding the package to fedora extras (by the same package
maintainer). After being included in Extras for current FC version,
current RH package maintainer could stop maintaining it if desired and
let community take care of it for future.
This way nobody will say "RH doesn't want package X in Fedora", but
community will have it in extras (provided by RH) and if needed can
further maintain it.

--
Marius Andreiana
Galuna - Solutii Linux in Romania