PROPOSAL: Core size reduction "bug day"

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Jul 26 11:41:23 UTC 2004

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 04:25, Warren Togami wrote:
>
>>Know that there may also be benefits to moving KDE to Extras.
>>* Red Hat does not emphasize enigneering work on KDE.  Most of the RH
>>desktop team works mainly on GNOME.
>>* As a result our KDE is always not as good as it could be.
>>* Community members care about KDE.
>>* Thus community members would do a better job of providing a more
>>polished KDE experience in Fedora.
>

> You are assuming here that the Core/Extras split is defined by "Red Hat
> maintains Core" and "community maintains Extras" - I don't know if
> that's a given. More people helping maintain the Core KDE packages
> wouldn't be a bad thing, though of course everyone has to have a similar
> vision for the packages, it wouldn't work too well if kdebase and
> kdelibs maintainers were having CVS commit wars. ;-)
>
> Personally I would not want to move KDE to Extras, at least with the
> current de facto definition of Core as "stuff relatively more people
> want to use" and Extras as "stuff relatively few people are clamoring
> for." Fedora isn't a commercially supported product and part of the
> reason for that is to let us include more stuff that people like.
> It's also targeted toward a techie audience and having choice of
> desktops is a pretty geek friendly thing.
>
> Havoc

I was not advocating the moving of KDE to Extras, but I know that
certain higher-up-manager-types have proposed it.  Your last two posts
indicating that Core should not be equal to RHEL is a view that I
totally favor.

I would agree that we should instead try to get the KDE-RedHat and
external people more involved in improving the Core KDE packages.
Perhaps they would also like to work on making it easier to add-on
license problematic sub-packages for users who can legally use that
functionality.  Currently replacing entire huge main packages to regain
such functionality is less than ideal.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com