IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Jul 27 02:23:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 20:07 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Because of these dependencies parralellisation really isn't any help.
> Getting a signal that the kernel has completed its initial scan of all
> the usb busses however would be a bug help, because I believe the
> current sleep 5 is much longer then is needed on most systems.

Realistically, the sleep 5 isn't sufficient in other cases.  We should
probably instead do something and verify that /proc/bus/usb/devices is
stable (ie, that two checks one second apart haven't changed) similar to
what anaconda does in anaconda/loader2/usb.c:sleepUntilUsbIsStable()

This will lead to a shorter sleep on "normal" systems and more correct
behavior on systems with a longer USB device tree to enumerate.

Jeremy