IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Florian Schirmer jolt at tuxbox.org
Tue Jul 27 11:59:43 UTC 2004

Hi,

>Kudzu depends on USB keyboard being present (as does the "i" key and
>the fsck options stuff). Once there is a USB keyboard present then we
>could proceed (or on a timeout when we conclude there is no keyboard to
>be found)

That sounds broken to me. IMHO the interactive stuff (fsck, interactive
startup) should be invoked as early as possible so that we still have
the BIOS provided HID emulation. Otherwise a corrupted fs/usb host
driver may render the system useless.

If we really need the full USB subsystem then why don't we just increase
the timeout of fsck to account the usb enum delay? That will give  the
hotplug system enough time to come up with a working HID to control the
interactive fchk session. /dev/input should handle that just fine.

So i'm not willing to buy this point (yet) :-)

Regards,
   Florian