linux registry (no, not that again!)

Jonathan Andrews jon at jonshouse.co.uk
Wed Jul 28 15:38:58 UTC 2004

> A libconfig (or something) that exports a standard API that programs use
> to look up configuration values.  It writes PLAIN TEXT configuration
> files to somewhere in /etc in a consistent format across all
> applications that use it.
>
> Most things store config files in /etc right now, so in the _current_
> situation, if your /etc/ takes a dive, you're hosed.  I fail to see how
> a config situation as described in the above paragraph would be _worse_
> than what exists now.
>
> The point of a good converged config project (IMHO) would be a
> _consistent_ _file_ _format_ in plain-text files, NOT a binary-only
> single-file registry.  People simply don't seem to understand that.
>
> Dan

Kind of makes me wonder once again why the kernel itself can't handle a
simple flat file config system ? Maybe Redhat style VARIABLE=value
pairs. Its pure, its simple, you can edit it as plain text - best of all
if it exists as a common API without dependency then people would use
it.

Even the simplest embedded systems need some configuration, so it would
be difficult to argue its not a kernel task.....

Jon