IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Michael Favia garbage at insitesinc.com
Thu Jul 29 02:07:28 UTC 2004

seth vidal wrote:

>No, Nfs mounted (or afs, for that matter) dirs could be simply be
>automounted. You'd have to know:
>
> 1. where the user's homedir is (which, of course, we do)

Done.

> 2. follow that path out to figure out what controls it: afs, autofs,
>nfs, cifs, etc.

How difficult is this and long does this take?

> 3. determine what to do in that case.

Load all relevant network and other required stuff if requires (stack
like queue). Hell make it load all of them if it detects anyof them if
that simplifies the backend.

People like me get speed benefit people with nfs suffer time delay as
deserved for utilizing network based setups. Seems simple enough to me.
No one need to reply but i really like the idea of a dependency based
invocation. It just makes sense as the most elegant solution. But
perhaps i am mistaken. Maybe someday there will be one engine that
solves deps quickly and powers both my bootup and my invocation of yum
and rpm :).

-mf