tuxracer & chromium move to Extras

Colin Charles byte at aeon.com.my
Sat Jul 31 19:57:43 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 01:52, Stan Bubrouski wrote:

> Well if its going to be kept around it MUST be maintained.  I mean hell
> it hasn't been updated AT ALL in how long?  I haven't been able to run
> it for more than 2+ years on my machine.  Needless to say whatever the

As others like Alan and Nils have stated, 2+ years with no updates
doesn't mean unmaintained. The software is "complete"

> problems are they are not fixed.  Frankly I don't know what the problem
> is but on my machine at least I could NEVER get it working with nv
> driver or the binary-only nvidia driver.  The game would always run at
> like 3 frames/2 sec so it was completely unusable or even operatable.  I

This is an issue with your nVidia drivers Stan, not a tuxracer one.
Works fine here on my ATI card, even on PPC

> My criteria is that if it isn't essential it really doesn't need to be
> in core.  If its non-essential AND unmaintained it should be scrapped or
> put in Extras.

How do we define "non-essential". People can be cheeky and say,
essential means to get a system started and running. What constitutes
OpenOffice.org being essential, when Abiword, Gnumeric and Magicpoint
are also included?

When coming to trimming down things, we should be careful to keep in
mind that we still want to make a complete and useful distribution
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/
then you win." -- Mohandas Gandhi