kernel-2.6.7 build 499

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 23:35:00 UTC 2004

Hello,

Just a follow up to my first post. I tried the 501 kernel and it compiles and
make rpms like I expected. I don't know why 499 didn't compile and I'm no longer
interested. But looking through my 501 build logs I see a couple of things that
catch my attention:

sh: line 1: hostname: command not found

I guess that net-tools is required to build the kernel even though its not a
BuildPreReq.

/home/build/working/tmp/rpm-tmp.79888: line 30: killall: command not found

Same for psmisc

/home/build/working/tmp/rpm-tmp.79888: line 28: rngd: command not found

I believe this one is a kernel helper app from the kernel source itself. I guess
a full pathname is required, no? For example in the specfile:

#
# Create gpg keys for signing the modules
#

rngd -f --rng-device=/dev/urandom &

This is presuming it to be installed in a directory such as /bin, /usr/bin, or
something in my search path. I would expect it to have been called like:
$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/where_ever_it_is/rngd

But there still is the issue of depmod trying to modify my buildserver's module
dependencies:

depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.4.20-31.9smp/modules.dep for writing

-Steve Grubb