video in the desktop

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 14:32:30 UTC 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:37:04 +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele
<thomas at apestaart.org> wrote:

> With Theora having reached a bitstream-frozen status, and a beta1
> release imminent, what are people's thoughts on the Fedora site about
> video applications in the desktop release ?

I want to see theora supporting video playing applications in fc3. But
I'd like to see more than that. I want to see the fedora community
generate useful content using the theora format as a means of
testbedding and advocating use of open formats inside the community. I
want to see fedora.redhat.com house a set of theora encoded tutorial
videos aimed at end-users. I want to see community take those
tutorials and edit them to produce propaganda material aided to
reviewers and people interested in seeing open source in action. And I
want to see a set of 'meet the developers' theora clips where we watch
a developer prepare their favorite cooking recipe.  I want to see an
archive of open source related technical and public policy lectures
and talks from conferences and invited speakers at universities and
other places in the theora format. I want a pony.

-jef