No more kernel-source(code)

Mike Chambers mike at netlyncs.com
Thu Jun 24 13:32:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 08:12 +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> well I agree that there are quite a few people who like to build their
> own kernel config but based on our source tree. However the plan is to
> include quite a bit of information for those people on how to get the
> same result. It saves shipping 40Mb of redundant rpm and it saves quite
> a bit of installation time though.

I used to build my own kernels back in 6.x/7.x days, but decided it Red
Hat's kernels were OK and not hurting/disrupting my systems at all (or
causing slowness?).  Nor do I use custom built modules (nVidia or
anything else currently), so this all really doesn't concern me.

But this would concern lots of other users, and maybe would like to make
suggestion to prove right/wrong or to help?

What if someone started from scratch with an install (on paper, not
really) and showed the methods (tree process on paper?) of the old way
and Arjan's new way of reconfiguring a kernel and/or building a kernel
module to see the differences written down?

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"It's always better to hurt a little now, than to hurt a lot later!"