When will LD_ASSUME_KERNEL var be phased out?

Bob Arendt rda at rincon.com
Thu Jun 24 21:50:53 UTC 2004

I'm under the impression that RedHat implemented the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL
environment variable as a clever hack to ease the introduction of the
NPTL-enabled kernel and libs with RedHat 9.

On the other hand, some development shops I'm working with are
(naively?) assuming that LD_ASSUME_KERNEL is a permanent feature that
will allow them to run "properly".

The questions:
   - How long will two threading systems be supported via LD_ASSUME_KERNEL?

   - Will FC3 (and RHEL4?) also support regression via LD_ASSUME_KERNEL?

Thanks,
-Bob Arendt