Help Needed: gnome-open and apps patching

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Mar 16 12:07:16 UTC 2004

Warren Togami wrote:

> 4) xchat and (soon) gaim already honors the gnome-open Preferred
> Application choice, but there are undoubtedly other applications that
> could be trivially patched to launch gnome-open for URL handling. Please
> let us know if you find such applications.  If you submit an exact patch
> to insert into the SRPM, there is still a chance that it can be included
> before the freeze.  Well, I hope so at least.

One more related note:
5) While I personally think the "Web Browser" and "Mail" launching icons
should launch the chosen Preferred Applications rather than the
hard-coded mozilla or evolution, there are technical barriers currently
preventing this.  Launching the preferred application must be tested to
be far more reliable than it has been in the past.  Also this presents
challenges with application startup feedback.  It would be really great
if we can think of ways to solve these problems.

Warren