Future: fhs 2.3 compliance for fc3

Aleksey Nogin aleksey at nogin.org
Wed Mar 31 23:27:12 UTC 2004

On 31.03.2004 14:38, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> A possibly related discussion; we've been wondering if we can make the
> OS image read-only (mounting it that way, or via selinux).
>
> Then have /tmp and probably /var in RAM (or wiped on boot), and have
> home directories and server/app data such as web pages to be served on
> network mounts.
>
> This allows you to maintain the OS image in a central location and the
> homedirs and server/app data in central locations, and have a single
> network-wide master copy of all important state.
>
> Any filesystem rearrangement probably impacts this plan (some
> rearrangement may be needed for this plan).

We've been doing this with 7.x and 8.0 - a read-olny root-over-nfs
partition, /tmp in RAM and read-write /var (each host mounts its own
private copy from the server).

We had to do the following things:
- /etc/mtab is a symlink to /proc/mounts
- Most of /var/lib needs to be moved to the /usr and replaced with
symlinks. Especially, /var/lib/rpm, /var/lib/menu, /var/lib/xkb,
/var/lib/alternatives. /var/lib/slocate can stay (if you have local
partitions and you want to have separate slocate dbs on clients),
/var/lib/nfs needs to stay
- For /var/log, you'd probably want to change the syslogd.conf to send
all logs to the remote server collecting them, instead of logging locally.

--
Aleksey Nogin

Home Page: http://nogin.org/
E-Mail: nogin at cs.caltech.edu (office), aleksey at nogin.org (personal)
Office: Jorgensen 70, tel: (626) 395-2907