dovecot default authentication change

Phil Anderson phil at phil-anderson.com
Fri May 7 11:01:09 UTC 2004

Hi,

I just upgraded my system from FC1 to Test 3, and it broke my dovecot
installation.  When I looked in the system log, it was immediately
obvious.  The default authentication in dovecot has changed from passwd
authentication to be postgres.

What is the reason for this?  The best thing that dovecot has going for
it is that it requires no setup, compared to cyrus-imap.  Now that this
default behaviour has changed, it changes this.

Is this intentional?  Or has it just been transfered from upstream?  In
which case, I think Fedora should have passwd authentication by default.

Any thoughts on this?

Phil