dovecot default authentication change

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri May 7 11:32:09 UTC 2004

Phil Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded my system from FC1 to Test 3, and it broke my dovecot
> installation.  When I looked in the system log, it was immediately
> obvious.  The default authentication in dovecot has changed from passwd
> authentication to be postgres.
>
> What is the reason for this?  The best thing that dovecot has going for
> it is that it requires no setup, compared to cyrus-imap.  Now that this
> default behaviour has changed, it changes this.
>
> Is this intentional?  Or has it just been transfered from upstream?  In
> which case, I think Fedora should have passwd authentication by default.
>
> Any thoughts on this?
>
> Phil

Good catch!  In reviewing the revision history it appears this came from
upstream.  I am guessing this is totally not what we want shipping in
Fedora as postgresql based authentication is far less common and more
difficult to use than passwd.  I will see if I can fix this... already
very close to absolute development freeze. =(

Warren