Menu Policy - please read if you maintain a package with a .desktop file in it!

Florian La Roche laroche at redhat.com
Fri May 14 08:17:48 UTC 2004

> I couldn't agree more - I admin systems for a number of people. They use
> various pieces of software on their own - some like gnumeric b/c it is
> fast, some like open office calc for other reasons. What is the merit in
> removing these menu options? How will you allow for difference of
> choices b/t users?

I think this example shows why we need "enough entries" in the menues.
It still must remain a longterm goal to only ship the useful apps we
find and instead of e.g. having 3 apps with different features to have
only one app with all features and working for all users.
That might be a little bit simplistic and might not match OOcalc versus
gnucash where both apps will be needed by users to put them both into
the menues. Users dislike a lot to start apps from the commandline...

greetings,

Florian La Roche