On disttags

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Wed May 19 20:48:37 UTC 2004

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On May 19, 2004, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
>

>>Alexandre Oliva wrote:

>>>But this breaks foo >= 1-4
>

>>I don't follow.  How exactly does it break?
>

> Your foo-1-4.fc3 won't contain the change made in 1-4.fc4, that
> is required for FC4, but must not be present in FC3.

Right.

> If a package requires foo >= 1-4, it's safe to assume that it requires
> that change, and 1-4.fc3 won't have it, so things will break.

OK.  This is part of the minor pain that must be endured to start using
dist_tags.  No one said it would be 100% seamless.  I consider these
side-effects to be insignificant next to the major advantages that
dist_tags bring to the table.

In this case, multiple erratas must be released:

The package that *had* contained:
Requires: foo >= 1-4
now should be:
Requires: foo > 1-4