python dependency for packages

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri May 21 05:18:47 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 16:19 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> The below is an example of an explicit python dependency to
> automatically Require a compatible version of python at build time, from
> fedora.us python-bsddb for FC1.  Any opinions if this is a good solution
> in general for packages that require python?

misa added a python-abi virtual provide that can be used instead (this
then also makes it so that you can have an, eg, python23 compat package
that would work as well).  The way of querying for it is a little less
than ideal, though, as I'm not sure of a way other than a) hard-coding
or b) running rpm during the build.  I guess you could do Requires:
python-abi = $(python -c "import sys; print sys.ver[:3]), but that seems
a little fragile as well.

Jeremy