VPN solution(s) for Fedora Core

Nathan Robertson nathanr at nathanr.net
Sun May 23 08:53:23 UTC 2004

On 23/05/2004, at 2:10 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Saturday 22 May 2004 19:06, Nathan Robertson wrote:
>> I know this will leave a bad taste in peoples mouths, but from a
>> practicality point of view the Microsoft VPN (MPPE and friends, iirc)
>> is implemented by a kernel patch in ppp CVS (providing the ppp_mppe
>> module). [...]
>
> I do believe the biggest thing is that the module taints your kernel.
> Non GPL compliant I do believe.

cobra:~# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
[...]
ppp_mppe               12320   0  (unused)
[...]

Damn. It's tainted, yes. Never noticed. I'm looking at the patch and
don't see any nasty license issues - just a lack of a explicit GPL
compatible flag set. It consists of:

- a patch to the current ppp (derived work, hence GPL).
- sha1.[ch] - in comments at the top -- "100% Public Domain"
- ppp_mppe_compress.c - "Permission to use, copy, modify, and
distribute this software and its documentation is hereby granted,
provided that the above copyright notice appears in all copies."

So in my view it's actually a mix between GPL, public domain and a BSD
style license. Looks GPL compatible to me. Just needs to be noted as
explicitly so, so it doesn't taint the kernel. Am I right?

Having said that, I haven't tested it with 2.6 kernel, and the headers
say 2.2 and 2.4 (presumably because it hasn't been tested).

Nathan.