building packages for FC2 for external kernel modules

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Mon May 24 15:44:25 UTC 2004

Hi,

> > - Anyone know why FC2 module versioning is turned off ? AFAIK the build
> > setup we've come up with would take symbol versioning into account
> > correctly if it were turned on.
>
> in 2.6 it makes it really hard to build external modules with

How so ? Seems to work fine.

> , in addition the thing we had symbol versioning for
> (preventing wrong modules to be inserted) now gets caught by the module version magic.
This is the line that reads
"vermagic:       2.6.5-1.358 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.3"
for example, right ? Aren't there other settings in the kernel build
that affect module versioning that aren't represented in the vermagic ?
If not, why is module versioning still needed ?

Thomas

Will you take me for a ride
The one that never ends