Reduce "Core" to 1 Binary CD? -- WAS: Request for Packages in Fedora Core 3

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Mon May 24 14:36:21 UTC 2004

Once upon a time Tuesday 25 May 2004 12:30 am, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2004 09:57:13 -0400, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:
> > cd/dvd images of extras are dramatically simpler, though b/c they don't
> > have to boot and be in order.
>
> don't have to be in order?  Are we saying that we are going to be
> happy with the idea that if extras spans 5 cd images while core spans
> 1... that its perfectly okay that users trying to use those 5 cd extra
> images will have to swap in those 5 cd images somewhat randomly to
> fill the dependancy chain?  I thought part of the point of ordering
> images was to prevent the extra hassle of having to repeatedly go
> between cd1 and cd3 over and over again during the install process.
> Why would this be any different for Extras?
>
> And I'm also somewhat concerned that whatever mechanism is created to
> tie in Extras into the install/upgrade proces...that mechnism needs to
> be general enough to encompass 3rd party repos too. No hardwiring of
> extras into the default logic of firstboot or anaconda. No a priori
> knowledge of the groupings to expect on the extra cds, things like
> that. Whatever works with extras needs to work with things like
> intranet or 3rd party addon media, in a general way...including
> defined package groups outside of Core comps definition.

i think we should look at how debian  put togethether there cd images  all up
they have 7 binary cds you can do a minimal install from 1 and 3 gets you the
most common stuff  and the last 4 are more obscure packages.  they shouldnt
be random but package foo on cd 2 should have all dependancies met in cd 1
and 2  while package bar on cd 3  needs its dependancies met from cd1-3  what
would be really neat  is to specify a location  say a nfs share that has the
iso images and the package installer i.e yum, apt, or up2date could mount
that isos  and get the packages off  without having to make a package tree

Dennis