The Fedora Hardware Project

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon May 24 21:37:31 UTC 2004

On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:18:08 -0400, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 04:12:46PM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > working group as a subcommunity group could be a very helpful thing,
> > especially if they organized a roadmap and systematically help
> > developers address accessibility issues in an organized way.
>
> That has been going on for some time. Sun in particular did a lot of heavy
> lifting to get core accessibility functionality into the desktop and the
> toolkits.

But is there a community group that aims to press the accessibility issue beyond
the desktop? A group that has a battle plan and human expertise to
help to make the whole process from the moment you drop a cd into the
machine to start the install accessible?  I'm not aware of a community
group like that in general...and certaintly not a group of community
contributors focused on doing this for fedora specifically.  Right now
and it the past, it seems Janina expects for Red Hat to make
accessibility very important, as important as she makes it, and I
don't think that expectation is going to be realized unless someone
organizes community contributors into a dedicated group whose goal is
to tackle the accessibility question in a focused and organized way,
by providing assistance, feedback and code on accessibility issues
through the fedora distribution.

Accessibility is important, important enough to pull everyone who is
interested in making it work well together, giving them a roadmap and
putting them to work towards making fc6 completely accessible.

-jef