Reduce "Core" to 1 Binary CD? -- Don't change Core, but make CD #1 "standalone"

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Tue May 25 14:57:51 UTC 2004

On May 24, 2004, "Chris Chabot" <chabotc at 4-ice.com> wrote:

> so uncompressed on cd storage

who said uncompressed?

> so extracting & writing files should be faster then copying them
> straight from cd.

but the rpm transaction overhead is not negligible.

> However most importantly: While 'blow over all the files without doing that
> fancy rpm stuff' sounds good in theory, did you ever think about how this
> would work if you wanted to upgrade your fedora instalation?

Oh, I was thinking of clean installs.  It obviously doesn't work for
upgrades.  The only way to avoid having an additional CD with rpms for
the packages included in the Live CD would be to have some mechanism
to recreate the RPM from the installed files.  Shouldn't be too hard,
but I agree it would be a pain.