Call for Discussion: Summary document concerning Prevention andRecovery of XP Dual Boot Problems

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Wed May 26 01:36:33 UTC 2004

On Tue, 25 May 2004 16:31:31 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 2004 16:26:14 -0400, David T Hollis
> <dhollis at davehollis.xxx> wrote:
> > I agree on this point totally.  What format is the geometry in?  I've
> > seen various ways of reporting HD geometry from straight cylinder counts
> > (4134788423 cyl), to the CHS 16/8/64 whatever style, etc.  A sample of
> > what the user would be looking for would probably be very helpful.
>
> something is going wrong with getting the full document into the mailinglist...
> its getting chopped....there's no point really discussing this until
> the full doc can be seen correctly. Hell...even Jack's repost of the
> document got eaten by the list demon even though my forward directly
> to him was fine. I've used up my alotment of community goodwill today,
> other people can attempt to get the full document to the list again.

The most common cause is a bug in mailman. It cuts off the message when it
encounters a period '.' on a line by itself as if it were an SMTP message
body delimiter. In your message, the last line was

  utility that can read the drive geometry as reported in the partition table

and the period behind "table" is missing [compared with Jack's posting],
because probably it was auto-wrapped into the next line where mailman then
cut off the message. You should be able to reproduce this in every message
by adding some text after a line which contains nothing else than a period.