small improvements for fedora 3: sound mixing

Christian Paratschek christian.paratschek at reflex.at
Thu May 27 11:32:16 UTC 2004

hi people on this list, i am a new member!

first of all: fedora core 2 is a very fine system. i have been an avid
user of red hat 7.3, 8.0,9 and fc1 and i am quite a loyal user...

i have some small gripes with fc2 and i wanna tell you, so that fc3 is
an even better product:

a default fc2 install doesn't mix sound events, i.e. i run xmms,
rhythmbox, etc and my gaim sounds don't play (here the bug is most
obvious). there is a simple fix for this, described on fedoranews.org:

http://fedoranews.org/contributors/andre_costa/alsa/

i didn't even have to do all the stuff mentioned there, i just had to
create the .asoundrc file and put that into it:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "swmixer"
}

pcm.swmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1234
slave {
pcm "hw:0,0"
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 4096
rate 44100
}
}

and then it worked without further configuration with all of xmms,
rhythmbox, gaim, totem in all combinations.

sound mixing is, imho a very essential feature, because not having it
makes fc2 look unpolished. if the fix is easy, i would suggest turning
the mixing on for fc3. we have kernel 2.6, we have alsa, this should
"just work".

regards,
christian