Why are there only i686 and i586 Version of glibc and kernel?

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Mon May 31 16:15:07 UTC 2004

> I think it is only fair that someone quantify the performance hit that
> K7 and 32bit K8 users can expect versus the improvement that P4 users
> will see before this is implemented.

The biggest change is NOT using a few forms of instructions (INC/DEC
hurt p4's while ADD/SUB by one are fast), AMD cpus seem to not care
really which form is chosen, it seens AMD optimizes in the cpu beyond
this level. You'll be *really* hard pressed to find (artificial)
examples where this would slow down AMD cpus even 0.1%....