linux registry (no, not that again!)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Nov 3 22:11:20 UTC 2004

On 11/03/2004 12:09:07 PM, D. Stolte wrote:
> Michael A. Peters wrote:
>> [mpeters at devel ~]$ ls -l /etc/kdb/system/init/1/ |head -5
>> total 12
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 23 Oct 23 05:27 action
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 35 Oct 23 05:27 process
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 20 Oct 23 05:27 runlevels
>> [mpeters at devel ~]$ cat /etc/kdb/system/init/1/action
>> RG002
>> 40
>> <DATA>
>> respawn
> thats just cryptic nonsense. i dont want such a config system on
> my box.

That's not cryptic nonsense - that was just demonstration of the
layout.

[mpeters at devel ~]$ kdb ls system/sw/yum/current
system/sw/yum/current/base
system/sw/yum/current/development
system/sw/yum/current/main
system/sw/yum/current/updates-released
system/sw/yum/current/updates-testing
[mpeters at devel ~]$ kdb get system/sw/yum/current/base/baseurl
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/

Normally to view the value of a key - you use the kdb command and
request the key - and it returns the value. No more criptic than
grepping a text file, and easier in the case of yum because you can
specify exactly which value you want (in this case baseurl associated
with the base repo)

In reality, as is the case with gconf, most of the time a gui would do
it for you - either in the application itself, or through a tool like
gconf-editor. There is a qt tool for elektra now, and I suspect a
generic gtk2 tool would be trivial to write (python).

Since a registry provides a standard API for writing/reading
configuration data, configuration utilities become almost micky mouse
to write - you don't have to learn the rules of all the different
configuration types (# for comment, or // for comment, or tab
deliminated key value pairs, or an xml scheme, or whatever).