linux registry (no, not that again!)

Iago Rubio iago.rubio at hispalinux.es
Thu Nov 4 09:11:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 00:56, Remco Treffkorn wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 November 2004 03:11, Iago Rubio wrote:
> >
> > Again, I will advocate to avoid central failure points for the whole
> > system, just for the shake of "it will be great for newbies".
> >
> > ITOH hiveconf scares me less than the Linux Registry does.
>
> With all due respect, but this smacks like you have not even read the info
> about Elektra.

I did, it's not the frist time it arrived this list.

I was not speking about Elektra as a single failure point but about
hiveconf.

> Would you care to explain how Elektra is a "central failure point"?

You sniped my message taking out the line I was answering. Read it and
you'll see I was speaking about hiveconf. I'll not explain what I did
not even said.

ITOH as you ask me to explain my thoughts, hiveconf scares me less
because it uses application's configuration files and will not drive
anybody to use a fixed configuration scheme, and a fixed configuration
files' layout on disk.

It also scares me, because it's a central failure point for the whole
system.

About Elektra, I don't know how will it fit in chrooted environments.

But technical matters apart, Elektra could be a good idea but I don't
spect rapid doption by upstream developers, and maintenance of all
config packages elektrified will require a huge patching effort.

Sysadmins will not be happy to change their sendmail configuration files
that have been around for years.

So to get a chance for adoption, you should also code the conversion of
old config files to elektra - a "hiveconf" layer between old configs and
elektra.

Once you get this done and you get elektra adopted by upstream
developers of important packages, it's time to advocate for the
inclusion in a distro.

Right now, I don't think redhat folks have time to expend in the
enourmous task of elektrify - and maintain elektrified - the whole
fedora, even if they'd think it's the best idea in years.

It should be adopted by upstream developers.
--
Iago Rubio