nscd gotcha

Brian Millett bpm at ec-group.com
Wed Nov 10 15:45:43 UTC 2004

My server at home uses a dyndns server to keep the current ip address
uptodate.  Well this morning, the lease expired and it got a new ip.  No
problem there.  But I could not get to my mail any more.  Strange.  I
checked to see what it was resolving to:
[bpm]$ dig mail.momillett.org

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> mail.momillett.org
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mail.momillett.org.            IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mail.momillett.org.     42930   IN      CNAME   momillett.org.
momillett.org.          46      IN      A       65.65.192.189

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 192.9.200.136#53(192.9.200.136)
;; WHEN: Wed Nov 10 08:23:15 2004
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 66

Ok, that is good, but when I tried to connect as a test, it did not resolv
to the correct ip:
[bpm]$ telnet mail.momillett.org 80
Trying 64.123.62.207...
telnet: connect to address 64.123.62.207: Connection refused

I was quite stumped until I saw (strace is nice) that a new service: nscd
was running.   Ok, so I restarted the nscd daemon, and still a problem.
Ok, man pages..... Gee it was working as it should.  There was not a
negative request as the old addr had been reassigned and was alive.  Only
the name had been reassigned to a different ip.

So, should nscd be updated when a 'host','dig', or 'nslookup' request is
done?  I am playing with the /etc/nscd.conf to tune it for my particular
setup, but I was wondering what triggers a refresh, or update of the
cached database?

Also, there is not an entry to the bugzilla for nscd.

Thanks.
--
Brian Millett
Enterprise Consulting Group  "Shifts in paradigms