Getting install time for an RPM

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Thu Nov 11 10:16:04 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 10:10 +0000, Gavin Henry wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have always wondered (setting here waiting for FC3 to install) how the
> install time for an RPM is calculated.

It involves the square root of the median of the imaginary and real
parts of the complex number that is composed of the MAC address and MHz
of your cpu.

Or maybe it just sees how many megabytes have been done so far and
extrapolates based on that (with a fixed added time added to compensate
for some fixed overhead)

(just as a side note; it's rumored that for OS/2, IBM researchers
actually tried to map "feeling" of time as opposed to wallclock time in
their install progress estimator, and ended up with a logarithmic scale,
in the beginning people are still patient while near the end they loose
patentience, so near the end visible progress needs to go faster for the
same amount of wallclock progress)