Java status for FC4?

Thomas Fitzsimmons fitzsim at redhat.com
Thu Nov 11 18:13:54 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 05:05, Tadej Janež wrote:
> Hi,
> I noticed a bunch of new Java packages added to rawhide on 6th of
> November, so the following question came to my mind:
> Is FC4 geared towards full scale Java adoption?
> How does that relate to the jpackage efforts (which are more
> distro-independent, I think)?

They are the same as upstream jpackages, with some modifications to make
them work on gcj.

After installing Fedora Core 3, issue the following command:

yum install java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-devel

This will install java-1.4.2-gcj-compat, java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-devel and
ecj (the Eclipse Java compiler).  These packages should have been part
of the default install, but instead you have to install them manually,
after the fact.  They'll be part of the default install in FC4.

These packages install wrapper scripts that make ecj and gij behave in a
very similar way to javac and java, and also make these tools
jpackage-compatible.  Once they're installed, you should be able to
install upstream jpackages smoothly, without the need to install a
proprietary JVM.

> Lastly, new packages also include Java bindings for gtk, libgnome,
> libglade and gconf, so does that mean we can expect desktop applications
> written in Java being added to FC in the future?

The Java-GNOME bindings will ship with FC4.  We may also ship some
applications that use the bindings, possibly in Fedora Extras.

Tom