Boot poster challenge

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Mon Nov 15 18:02:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 08:48 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 12:35:49AM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Bah.
> >
> > Just do the readahead on the first boot., and then reorient your disk blocks
> > in the desktop background thereafter. :)
>
> but in a parallel startup situation, the order in which you read stuff no
> longer is deterministic...

Why not?  Just because you're running more than one script at once, that
doesn't mean they can't still be ordered.

That is, we still don't want to start nfs until the network is up, but
is there any compelling reason not to start up irqbalance, pcmcia,
bluetooth, hidd, lm_sensors, smartd, acpid, messagebus, or haldaemon
before then?

> so reordering no longer has the effect you expect it to have..

That doesn't have to be the case; we don't need to run _everything_ in
parallel, we just need to delay whatever depends on our most latent
chunks, and run other things while we're stalling.

--
        Peter