fc3 on VirtualPC2004?

Barry K. Nathan barryn at pobox.com
Tue Nov 16 18:06:05 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 09:32:00AM -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Any ideas/pointers on getting FC3 running on (MS) VirtualPC (2004)?  It
> installs fine, but doesn't completely get into multiuser (or even
> single-user) mode after that.  Can't get in far enough to much snooping
> around or even look at the logs.

I don't have VPC 2004, but if you can use the installer CD's rescue
mode, then maybe you could try something like this (add intermediate
steps as needed -- you'll see what I mean once you read the
instructions):

1. Boot into rescue mode.
2. Use rpm -ivh --oldpackage to install a kernel from RHEL 4 beta 2,
like this one:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/redhat/redhat/linux/beta/nahant-beta2/en/WS/i386/RedHat/RPMS/kernel-2.6.9-1.648_EL.i686.rpm

I just realized, you could also try installing an i586 FC3 kernel (I
guess I would do "rpm -e --nodeps kernel" then "rpm -ivh
/wherever/blah/kernel-2.6.9-1.667.i586.rpm" or something like that).

Both the i586 FC3 kernel and the i686 RHEL 4 kernel lack 4G/4G. VMware's
virtualization method makes it run really slow with 4G/4G. It's possible
that Virtual PC's virtualization/emulation method makes it just blow
up...

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn at pobox.com>