FC4 wishes

Trever L. Adams tadams-lists at myrealbox.com
Tue Nov 16 22:22:00 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 17:11 -0500, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> "Trever L. Adams" <tadams-lists at myrealbox.com> writes:
>
> > Normally, I would agree with you one hundred percent. However, it is
> > often useful to change languages in the middle of a computing session.
> > And maybe I am the only one who agrees with this.
>
> Switching languages on the fly, while nice, isn't going to happen
> anytime soon.  It's an enormous amount of work to get a graphical
> environment to relayout like that, and you'd have to rework a large
> chunk of the desktop.  I'm afraid that you'll have to log out and back
> in again for the foreseeable future.
>
> Thanks,
> -Jonathan

Hey, Jonathan, I am glad you and Ralf see it my way.  I am not saying
change the language for the entire session. I am saying change the
language for any newly opened instance of an application. Yes, the other
would be nice, but I knew that wasn't going to happen.

However, for all those people telling me that gdm solves the problem, I
have tested this, it shows EVERY language, not the ones shown as valid
(in /etc/system-config/i18n) for my system. I don't know, maybe this is
best, but to make it simpler for machines with fewer languages being
used, it would be nice.

Ralf, I am sorry I didn't state it clearly (and maybe not at all)
earlier.

Have a good one.

Trever
--
"Black holes are where God divided by zero." -- Unknown