Killer apps/"selling" points of FC and GNU/Linux

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Tue Nov 16 22:39:26 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:30:12 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> Qemu might also be a more useful path to windoze license holders for business
> apps anyway

You can run Windows-in-a-box, but then you're not really migrating to
Linux or free software are you? You're just inventing new ways to run
Windows but slower. I'm not sure what kind of IT department would go for a
"migration" based on VMware or QEmu.

Don't get me wrong, they're great tools. I use them myself. But they
aren't the right path for business desktop migration.

As for Wine not being enterprise supportable ... well, neither was the
kernel until companies like Red Hat got involved. They hired kernel
wizards like you, got behind the product and turned it into a successful
enterprise product (as did many other companies). Nothing magic about Wine
that says the same couldn't happen. Already is, to some extent.