Requests for FC4

Stuart Children stuart at terminus.co.uk
Wed Nov 17 21:12:11 UTC 2004

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Jeremy Katz (katzj at redhat.com) said:
>
>>Most services don't need any magic to shutdown "properly".  Why stop ssh
>>via the initscript when all it's going to do is kill the process if you
>>have a killall happening not long afterward.

Definitely.

> Exactly... what needs to be done here is tagging of all the scripts/services
> that can be shut down cleanly, then some quick changes to /etc/rc should
> cut about half the time out of shutdown (based on some tests I ran ~10
> months ago or so.)

How about a "prepare-for-system-shutdown" [1] command to the rc scripts?
With the meaning of "save anything you need to 'cos the system's going
down shortly" rather than "i want you to exit all your processes right
now" (the 'stop' command). For most services this could just be a NOP.
Others could trivially call their 'stop' command, or do whatever subset
of that is necessary.

[1] a more succient name should obviously be used. :) Actually, how
about 'save', and 'stop' could in general call that and then do its
killings?

Of course currently that would still involve the overhead of forking the
shell scripts to handle execute each rc command (which would exit almost
immediately for the "nothing to save" case). Any feel as to how much of
saving it would still be?

Cheers

--
Stuart