fc3 on VirtualPC2004?

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Wed Nov 17 23:25:00 UTC 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 05:13:50PM -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 05:09:59PM -0500, David Sanders wrote:
> > Do we need a 4g4g kernel as the default?  Not many people are going to be
> > helped anyway.  Fedora is the only linux distribution shipping one as far as
> > I know and it is not in the upstream kernels.  Perhaps it could be an option?
>
> 4G/4G does seem to help a lot of workloads. The views are split even inside
> Red Hat. When it comes to Linux/Linux virtualisation then Xen 2.0 really
> makes it irrelevant as Xen uses its own kernel variant anyway
Where workload seems to be something other than "light desktop use"
or even "light server use". Is there any <=1GB of RAM case
where it helps at all? Besides, anyone sane running a memory
intensive app will get a x86_64 box where the 4:4 kludgery is not needed.

Only good I've seen it do is uncovering driver bugs, which is a worthy goal
I suppose.

--
Pekka Pietikainen