Stateless Linux experience...

Mike Herrick mherrick at corente.com
Thu Nov 18 14:22:58 UTC 2004

> 	Yeah, I think you need to run it before taking the snapshot.
> Something
> like this:
>
> $> stateless-servers -a -n /srv/stateless/snapshots myserver.foo.net
>
> 	(assuming you want the image served to stateless clients rather than
> caching clients. Use -r for caching clients)

A couple of problems:

1) I can't login when the diskless client boots.  I've tried the root
account as well as the ldap 'demo-user' user id.  I've changed
/etc/sysconfig in the snapshot to dump the logs to the console (since I
can't login and see them).  When I use 'root', I get:

.....PAM-securetty[2785]: Error opening /etc/securetty

When I use 'demo-user', I can see ldap traffic to the server using tcpdump,
but I get:

...login(pam_unix)[2786]: check pass; user unknown
...login(pam_unix)[2786]: authentication failure; logname=LOGIN uid=0 euid=0
tty=tty1 ruser= rhost=
...login[2787]: FAILED LOGIN 1 FROM (null) FOR demo-user, Authentication
failure

I've never used LDAP before, but using phpldapadmin (as previously
suggested), I've changed the demo-user password, and modified the group (as
mentioned in another post) - to no avail.

To get around this, I modified /etc/inittab in the snapshot directory to
start up in single user mode rather than run level 3, just so I can get on
the box and play with it.

I, too, get a bunch of errors at startup - the first of which are generated
by /etc/rc.readonly:

Setting hostname test					[ OK ]
find: /var/gdm: Permission denied
find: /var/lock/lvm: Permission denied
find: /var/log/ppp: Permission denied
find: /var/run/mdadm: Permission denied
find: /var/run/mdmpd: Permission denied
find: /var/run/sudo: Permission denied
find: /var/run/usb: Permission denied
Setting up Logical Volume Management		[ OK ]

It appears that /var/writable is mounted (tmpfs) and that
/var/writable/[etc,tmp,var] all exist.

The snapshot is of a vanilla 'Workstation' FC3 install.

Thanks,

Mike.