Finding the "best" mirror

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Nov 18 15:43:49 UTC 2004

Adrian Reber wrote :

> The new feature in yum to use a mirrorlist instead of everbody
> donwloading from download.fedora.redhat.com is great. Unfortunately yum
> sometimes seems to download from the mirror furthest away and the
> downloads are really slow.
>
> But as I was to lazy to edit all the files in /etc/yum.repos.d/ to use
> the closest mirror I have written a small script which tries to
> determine the best mirror, removes the mirrorlist directive from the
> repo file and appends a baseurl line with the best mirror.
> If anyone is interested the script can be found at:
>
> http://lisas.de/~adrian/rpm/netselect-0.3-0.fdr.2.i386.rpm
> http://lisas.de/~adrian/rpm/netselect-0.3-0.fdr.2.src.rpm
> http://lisas.de/~adrian/rpm/netselect-yum-0.3-0.fdr.2.i386.rpm
>
> All this is more or less just copied (inspired) by debian's
> netselect-apt.

Haven't looked at this yet, but how about selecting more than one mirror
(e.g. the 5 best), creating a local yum mirror file, and pointing yum's
configuration to that file:///path/to/that/mirrorlist? I really like the
fact that yum tries another server when one doesn't seem to respond, which
wouldn't be the case anymore with a single baseurl configured.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux kernel 2.6.9-1.667.radeonfb
Load : 0.27 0.31 0.62