prelink issues

Nicholas Miell nmiell at comcast.net
Fri Nov 19 21:59:49 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 16:36 -0500, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 04:33:00PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> > > Anyway, if you have a reproducer and tar up the binary, all libraries
> > > and whatever else is necessary for reproduction, that goes away
> > > if you unprelink the binary or its libraries, I'll certainly look at
> > > it.
> >
> > Will do.
>
> Note that the important thing is to tar them up before unprelinking,
> if the bug goes away after unprelinking, when you prelink -u it is
> usually to late.
>
> tar chjf foo.tar.bz2 `LD_TRACE_PRELINKING=1 LD_WARN= /path/to/program | awk '{print $3}'`
>
> should do the job.
>
> 	Jakub

wnck-applet was segfaulting immediately when I logged in to GNOME. After
debugging, I discovered it was dying on a call into libstartup-
notification-1.so.0. For the hell of it, I reversed and then redid wnck-
applet's prelinking, and it worked fine.

So, yes, there is some kind of prelink problem going on.

Of course, I completely forgot to make a backup copy of the mangled
wnck-applet, so this doesn't help you much beyond a "me too!" (Although,
this is an AMD64 system, so that might be another data point).

--
Nicholas Miell <nmiell at comcast.net>