Possibly offtopic : Binary only driver

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Sun Nov 21 19:23:51 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 15:09 +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> - nvidia binary driver, required for 3D on a large number of peoples
>   systems

NVIDIA is the culprit here.

> - ndiswrapper, required for compatibility with a large number of wireless
>   cards

XXX is the culprit here.

> - all the drivers that aren't in tree because they don't meet the coding
>   standards etc, of which there are a bunch around on sourceforge

Those should be improved, but it's not too much of an hassle. I'm doing
it now for some 802.11b card's Free Software drivers.

> > At least that's the intention. Some people think they can get away with
> > not being GPL while still using and depending on deep kernel internals;
> > well... to be honest the pain is on them though.
>
> Actually the pain is on the users. You just don't see it.

That pain is on the users. Agree 100%. But who is inflicting it? The
developers or some company wanting to keep secret mumbo jambo?

It's the later one, who's the culprit.

Rui