Finding the "best" mirror

Adrian Reber adrian at lisas.de
Mon Nov 22 21:20:34 UTC 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 04:43:49PM +0100, Matthias Saou wrote:
> > But as I was to lazy to edit all the files in /etc/yum.repos.d/ to use
> > the closest mirror I have written a small script which tries to
> > determine the best mirror, removes the mirrorlist directive from the
> > repo file and appends a baseurl line with the best mirror.
>
> Haven't looked at this yet, but how about selecting more than one mirror
> (e.g. the 5 best), creating a local yum mirror file, and pointing yum's
> configuration to that file:///path/to/that/mirrorlist? I really like the

I have extended the script to use the best n mirrors and not only one.
The number of mirrors to use can be specified on the commandline. I am,
however, not using the mirrorlist directive but just appending multiple
servers to the baseurl directive.

http://lisas.de/~adrian/rpm/netselect-0.3-0.fdr.3.i386.rpm
http://lisas.de/~adrian/rpm/netselect-0.3-0.fdr.3.src.rpm
http://lisas.de/~adrian/rpm/netselect-yum-0.3-0.fdr.3.i386.rpm

Gentoo use the same technique to determine the best mirror. In addition
to using netselect they offer to meassure the bandwidth by downloading a
100KB file from each mirror.

		Adrian