[rant] Re: vmware and udev

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov
Tue Nov 23 22:29:32 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 18:13 -0500, Sean wrote:
> "The goal of The Fedora Project is to work with the Linux community to
> build a complete, general purpose operating system ****exclusively****
> from open source software."  [nb. **excessive** emphasis added]

However, a system that works with non-open-source software is a highly
desirable goal, not incompatible with the above.  In fact, as far as
Fedora is Red Hat's testing ground for technologies to end up in
Enterprise, it would seem to be a requirement.

Have been a lurker on this list (just following for self-educational
purposes), as my development experience was mostly back in the dark ages
of FORTRAN.  Had to come out of the woodwork on this one.

> If there are enough people worried about one or more binary blobs,
then an
> independent support-community should be easy to organize which
> wouldn't
> need assistance from those who are completely uninterested in such
> efforts.

>From the number of VMware-related messages on various Fedora lists, a
substantial subset of Fedora people seem to be interested in it as a
useful tool or as a test environment.  I'd count myself as one of those.

Phil