Addition : Ink Level

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 24 02:29:44 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 20:09 -0500, Nick Bargnesi wrote:
> Hopefully somebody didn't already state this.  But doesn't cups
> advertise printing on port 631?  You should be able to use http or https
> to access it?

Yes. However, even when you have poked the hole in the firewall that
allows you to print to the printer, cupsd doesn't let you do interesting
things like kill your print jobs in the default setting. Also, you need
to know exactly the URL to type, in the default config you can't access
http://<computername>:631/ remotely, only
http://<computername>:631/printers/<printername> . While this might be
quite reasonable from a security point of view, it's not exactly an
interface I'd like to try to explain to a beginner.

/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University