FC3 PPC development tree / installing FC3 on B&W PowerMacG3

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Nov 26 07:00:15 UTC 2004

On 11/25/2004 04:51:24 PM, Colin Charles wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 22:37 +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>
> > I never got networking on my iMac to work, and I gave up rather
> quickly
> > - the newer kernels from rawhide wanted other things updated. Not
> worth
> > the hassle for me since I would have to burn crap to CD to get it
>
> > the iMac. So hopefully a future PPC fedora tree with a boot.iso
> that
>
> > boots my iMac will emerge. I may just junk the iMac though and buy
> an
> > eMac - they are cheap and a lot faster.
>
> Networking never works on your iMac? Okay, let's presume DHCP is
> borked,
> can you set everything static based and see it work?
>
> If DHCP is failing, please file a bug report, and also provide the
> relevant tcpdump output. Some odd regression possibly, because I
> faced
> this during some early FC2 rawhide testing, but it was fixed

Not using dhcp - using a static IP on my lan.
Network init script says it was starting, but eth0 was never brought
up.
It's possible that the network (ifcfg-eth0) setting set up by YDL were
not sufficient for FC - I tried manually adjusting ifcfg-eth0 to look
similar to the ifcfg-eth0 on an x86 FC3 box, but that didn't work -
even when I tried modprobing various modules I thought might be
responsible. I also tried running the network config tool - it didn't
recognize eth0. I suspect it may be fixed by a newer kernel, but there
were deps not installed when I tried to install it - I really need to
get one of those USB keychain thingies, but I don't have one.

I tried modprobing mace, sungem, a few others that looked reasonable (I
believe mace is the correct one) - but the installed kernel is kind of
old (from C3T2). I want to try with a newer kernel before I file any
bug reports. I also want to pick up a USB key before I file a bug
report, to make it easier to try different kernels.

While I highly doubt this has anything to do with it, this is a first
gen iMac but it has a Newer 433 G4 cpu daughtercard installed (opposed
to the 233 G3 it came with) - It's the second rev of the mobo (the one
used for Rev B/C/D iMacs)