Kernel Crashs - interessting ?

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Fri Nov 26 12:48:57 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 01:44:33PM +0100, Frank wrote:
> Arjan van de Ven:
>
> > On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 12:53 +0100, Frank wrote:
> > > Some more Kernel Crash Bug Report snipset:
> > >
> > > for recal: if i simple reboot or halt the Fedora3 Maschine the Linux
> > > Kernle crashs ... by using the NVidia AGP Driver instead the Linux one
> >
> > ...so don't do that then and use less-buggy kernel components, like the
> > ones Fedora ships.
>
> a nice logic .. use THE one WE provide - and all others are buggy

I did not say nor imply the later.

> remind please - the NVidia one outperformes the LINUX one, so should i
> use the slowly Linux kernel agp driver playing doom3 in your Opinion ?
> or going to microsoft using there OS or pay you for a private fix ?

well have you filed a bug about the linux one being slower? (I find it hard
to imagine an agp driver being slower other than initial hw setup, which for
sure can be fixed). Do provide details about the exact hw you have (eg which
agp chipset etc etc).

> besides, what is buggy in your Eys ? Iam very content with thr NVidia
> one ...

... except for the oopses you get. That's obviously a very bad sign, and a
general indication that there is a bug in the binary one you use.

> why you must rewrite a agp driver while this one still exists
> from the Vendor itself ?

why do you use an open source operating system if you can use a binary only
one from other vendors ? ;)

realistically agp drivers in linux have to be inside the kernel for correct
operation in several circumstances (eg the resource management of the kernel
depends on knowing where "stuff" is, and the AGP aparture is one of the
resources that needs to be known there)